Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Mold Process 101
The mold cleanup and restoration process begins when you call us. A SERVPRO representative will start by asking you a series of questions to help us determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel to assist you with your property.
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment -- We carefully inspect your property for visible signs of mold and possible moisture. Mold feeds on cellulose and water and can be hidden from plain view.
- Mold Containment - Our professionals use various containment procedures to prevent the spread of mold. We may use advanced containment procedures like negative air chambers to isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process. All fans and heating and cooling systems will be turned off to prevent the spread of mold.
- Air Filtration - Our specialized filtration equipment allows our Professionals to capture microscopic mold spores out of the air. We utilize powerful “air scrubbers” and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these mold spores while the mold remediation is in process.
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Material - The mold remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and the types of surfaces on which the mold appears. We’ll use antifungal and antimicrobial treatments to eliminate mold colonies and to help prevent new colonies from forming. It may be necessary to remove and dispose of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and carpeting, to remediate heavy mold growth.
- Cleaning Contents and Belonging - We clean your furniture, decorative items, curtains, clothing, and other restorable items affected by mold. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and disinfect your belongings. We’re also trained to remove odors and deodorization using fogging equipment.
- Reconstruction -- Depending on the level of mold damage, drywall, subfloors, and other building materials may have been removed. Reconstruction may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business. The reconstruction step gets your home or business back to normal.
- Test for indoor air quality – After the restoration process, SERVPRO or you will hire an Indoor Air Quality and Environmental Professional to evaluate the quality of the air inside the structure. Using various testing devices, these professionals will collect air and surface samples to compare the indoor mold spore count to the outdoor environment.
SERVPRO of Alhambra cares about the proper restoration of your property. In most cases, excessive mold growth will not be a problem for our franchise professional and we can safely restore your building to its original condition. Don’t let the mold continue to go, call SERVPRO of Alhambra today at 626-283-5875.
Mold Under Bathroom Sink
Mold in the bathroom, such as the shower, sink, or bathtub, can be difficult to get rid of, but there are some techniques that you can use to keep it under control. The key to preventing mold growth is getting rid of the dampness in the bathroom, which can be difficult.
- Using your bathroom fan and making sure it is the right size for your bathroom. Make sure your bathroom fan is running when you are taking a shower or bath as well as half an hour after you finish to get rid of any extra moisture.
- You can also seal any grout lines annually with any grout sealer to waterproof them.
- Maintaining sink and toilet supply lines
- Ensuring the wax ring on your toilet is secure or changed after a few years
These steps will not guarantee that your bathroom will be mold free but these are some simple steps that you can take to prevent mold growth.
If your mold problem is very prominent, give SERVPRO of Alhambra a call at (626)283-5875.
Keeping Mold Away From Food
We have all experienced food going bad at some point and mold growing on foods that we have not touched in a long time. However, how can we prevent food from going moldy?
Buying small amounts and using food quickly is probably the best way to prevent mold growth in food. However, there are other practices that you can implement to prevent mold growth in food.
- Examine food well before you buy it. Check food in glass jars, look at the stem areas on fresh produce, and avoid bruised produce.
- Fresh meat and poultry are usually mold free, but cured and cooked eats might not be. Examine them carefully.
- When serving food, keep it covered to prevent exposure. Use plastic wrap to cover foods you want to stay moist.
- Empty opened cans of perishable foods into clean storage containers and refrigerate them.
Cleanliness is the key to controlling mold. Mold spores from contaminated food can build up in your refrigerator, dishcloths, and other cleaning utensils.
- Clean the inside of the refrigerator every few months with one tablespoon of baking soda dissolved in a quart of water. Rinse with clear water and dry. If you do run into mold, scrub the visible mold (usually black) on rubber casings using three teaspoons of bleach in a quart of water.
- Keep towels, sponges, and mops clean and fresh. A musty smell means they are spreading mold around. Discard them if you cannot use them.
Quick Temporary Mold Home Remedies
Finding mold in your home can be one of the scariest things to experience since there are always horror stories of how mold can affect a person’s health. Fortunately, you can control the growth of certain mold and get rid of it with some simple steps.
- Chlorine bleach is a great mold killer. A recipe is to combine one part chlorine bleach to four parts water and apply to the mold. However, chlorine bleach should not be used on surfaces where food is prepared on. (only works with non-porous items such as tile and glass)
- If you want something stronger, a more effective anti-mold treatment would be fungicide cleaner. This can be used to wipe down exterior and interior of refrigerators with.
- For tough to clean spots, such as carpets or rugs, we suggest using baking soda, and dusting the affected area and letting it sit for a couple hours before vacuuming it up.
- If you are looking for a more natural approach, vinegar is a solid and natural mold killer. Just put vinegar in a spray bottle and spray in all locations where the mold is located at.
Always remember to wear protective gear when dealing with mold because it can cause breathing and other respiratory problems for you if you get in contact with it or even mold spores. Also to remember to wear gloves and never to touch the mold directly.
To control the growth and spread of mold in your home or property, you must regulate the humidity. Increased air movement through an electric fan is a great way of reducing air moisture as well as air conditioning system to remove moisture. In the right conditions (humidity wise), mold can spread through a home as little as 48 hours!
If you are experiencing mold problems that you don’t think you can take care yourself, give us a call at (626)283-5875.
Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Alhambra for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Alhambra specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (626) 283-5875
Does Your Alhambra Home Have a Mold Problem?
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (626) 283-5875