Leaky Air Conditioner Unit?
Air conditioners that are installed today are usually located on the ceiling or roof of your home or business. However, they can sometimes be faulty and leak water down and can cause water damage to your ceiling. If you find that your air conditioner is leaking water, it is important to immediately look into this issue and call a professional for repairs because it can cause serious damage to your ceiling and can cause it to collapse. Here are some reasons why an air conditioning unit might leak:
- Clogged condensation drain line
- It is one of the most common causes of water leaking from an air conditioning unit. This can be caused by dust or dirt that gets clogged into the drain line. A solution can be to vacuum this out but calling a professional is the best way to solve this problem.
- Damaged/rusted drain pan
- Older air conditioning units usually have this problem. If this is the case, the drain pan should be replaced.
- Dirty air filter
- A dirty air filter can block the airflow to the evaporator coil which then gets too cold. When the AC unit is not being used, it starts to melt and then can drip more water than the drain pan can handle. If this is the case, this would need to be replaced immediately.
If your air conditioning unit was caused some water damage to your ceiling, call SERVPRO of Alhambra at (626) 283-5875 to assess the damage and for a free estimate.
Type of Smoke Damage
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can spread quickly throughout your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Alhambra will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Two things are for certain, is that hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure and that the smoke type can affect the restoration process.
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
· Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
· Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
· Discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is different, we will tailor our services specifically to your situation. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage and we will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call us at SERVPRO of Alhambra at (626)283-5875.
Storm Supply Checklist
In Southern California, it is pretty rare that we ever run into any storms, however, a storm does occasionally appears during fall and winter seasons. During these seasons, it is always important to be prepared for a storm, especially after all the fires that have been going on in the past few years. The fires that burned away the vegetation loosen up soil, therefore, are more susceptible to breaking apart into mudslides if there is rainfall. Because of these extra dangers of storms in Southern California, we recommend having these items in your home.
- Battery operated radio
- First aid kit
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Cash and important documents (such as insurance policies, IDs, bank information)
- Nonperishable food for several days
- Water for several days
- Extra clothing and shoes
- Pocket knife with tools attached
- Sanitation wipes and hygiene products.
- Manual can opener
- Matches in a waterproof container
If you run into any storm issues in your property or home, call SERVPRO of Alhambra at (626) 283-5875 for a free inspection.
Common Toilet Issues and Solutions
Toilet overflow is a common cause of water damage in homes and commercial buildings. Toilet issues are just as common and can also lead to toilet overflow. Here are some tips to solve some toilet issues so that you can prevent toilet overflow.
- “Phantom Flushes”
Sometimes, you hear your toilet to refill randomly like someone had just flushed it. The cause of this is a slow leak from the tank of the bowl. The problem is most likely caused by a bad flap or flapper seat. The solution is to drain the tank and bowl and then inspect the flapper and clean the flapper seat. You should replace the flapper if it is worn out or damaged.
- Trickling Water
If you hear a prolonged hissing noise coming from your toilet, it might be water trickling from the supply line. To check this, inspect the refill tube and ballock or the inlet-valve assembly. The hissing sound is usually caused by water coming through the inlet valve. To solve this issue, check whether the float is sticking or needs adjusting then check the refill tube isn’t too far into the overflow tube. If neither of these solves the problem, you may need to replace the ballcock assembly.
- Bowl Empties Slowly
This also known as a weak flush, which is a result of a clogged hole underneath the rim of the bowl. Use a curved piece of wire, such as a coat hanger wire, and gently poke into flush hole to clear out any debris. Be careful not to scratch the bowl.
These are the most common toilet problems that people have. A force-cup plunger is a very effective way to clear minor clogs. For serious clogs, use a closet auger. You would insert the end of the auger into the drain hole and then twist the handle and make sure to try to not scratch the bowl.
If you experience any toilet overflow that may have caused water damage in your property, please call SERVPRO of Alhambra to give you a free estimate at (626)283-5875!
SERVPRO of Alhambra's Water Damage Process
There are many different ways that water can unexpectedly get inside your home or property. It is a regular occurrence in life that things break, especially when water pipes or certain appliances break or malfunction.
Once water gets inside a building, many different types of damage can occur. SERVPRO’s technicians in Alhambra have experience in dealing with moisture in several different scenarios. It is essential that all moisture gets removed within a 48-hour window so that mold growth does not occur.
When mitigating problems having to do with excessive water, our SERVPRO experts use many different methods and equipment. All of the equipment and methods used are IICRC certified and proven to work well in the restoration industry. We always use different equipment depending on the aspects and severity of the damage situation.
When we first arrive to a water restoration project, we start by testing moisture levels inside the building. We use state-of-the-art detection devices to identify where water has intruded into the structure.
Next, we use specialized extraction equipment to pull moisture out of materials and contents inside the home. The extraction equipment consists of an extractor with a high powered vacuum motor. A vacuum tube then runs to an extraction tool that gets used to pull out the water.
After water gets extracted from the building, we use carpet tools to disengage the carpet and separate seams so that we can pump air underneath it and “float” the carpet. We then use different tools to reinstall the carpet pad and seams after drying is complete. Next, we use drying equipment to return moisture levels to normal conditions.
Air moving equipment causes evaporation to speed up the drying process. Dehumidifiers get used to remove water vapor from the air. After drying gets completed, we use deodorization equipment to apply professional products and treat foul odors.
If water damage occurs on our property, contact SERVPRO of Alhambra at (626)283-5875 for a free estimate!
Identifying Water Damage
It is very important to know how to identify water damage, whether you are buying, selling, or renting a home. When water seeps through your property, it can damage walls, floors, and can lead to toxic mold growth. Water damage can also lead to permanent structural damage to your property. Some causes of water damage can be caused by leaks, floods, overflowing water sources, ice dams, accumulation of water in the basement, or leaky appliances. Here are some steps to inspect your property for water damage.
-Check for water stains on the walls and ceilings. Any unusual stains should be taken serious as they could be a likely sign of a leaky pipe or drain within the walls. They usually have swollen appearance if there is a water leak within the walls
-Any warping or bucking of floors, especially in the basement, water damage is very likely. Be also aware of stains on wood floors, damp carpeting, or a smell of dampness or mold.
-Check and inspect the pipes in the kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room, and basement for any corrosion. Look for wet spots around water heater and the rust around the tank.
-Many air conditioners are now in the attic and could cause possible leaks. Check the attic for stains, mold, and other signs of possible leaks. Insulation should also be dry and in good condition.
If you find something wrong or suspicious in your property that may be water damage, call SERVPRO of Alhambra at 626-283-5875 for a free inspection!
Commercial Building Water Damage
Commercial Water Damage
Water damage can affect and halt your business for days. However, many business owners and entrepreneurs sometimes forget that floods and severe weather aren’t the only culprits of water damage to a business. Here are some typical causes of water damage that happen to business commercial buildings.
- Malfunctioning sprinklers
Many older office and retail buildings might have outdated sprinkler systems where they work in conjunction with fire protection systems. They are good whenever they is a fire emergency, however, they can also cause commercial flood damage if they are faulty and in need of a replacement. These sprinkler systems should be checked annually so that they do not damage business assets or inventory.
- Damaged appliances and equipment
A lot of causes of flood damage are from faulty appliances and equipment such as coffee machines or any machines that involve water. Restaurants and catering facilities are more commonly prone to these problems but any break room facility in businesses can also run into these problems and damage the surrounding area.
- Pipe and plumbing failure
Pipes and plumbing issues are always a big problem, whether it is at a commercial or at a residential building. If the pipes or plumbing fails, water damage could be a result or occur so immediately shut off the water and contact SERVPRO for a thorough inspection and assessment.
If your business runs into any water damage, please call SERVPRO of Alhambra for a free inspection at (626)283-5875.
Independence Day Safety Tips
Independence Day is one of America’s biggest holidays where usually, everyone takes the day or night off. The most popular events are barbecues, fireworks, or a trip to the park or beach. It is one of people’s favorite holidays but it can also be hazardous and it is also important to stay safe while having fun.
Here are some tips for the most common activities on July Fourth to remember:
- Always follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Never give fireworks to small children.
- Keep a bucket of water or a hose nearby.
- Never attempt to relight a firework if it does not go off
- Never carry fireworks in your pockets.
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
- Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, or structures.
- Use fireworks outdoors only.
- Keep a safe distance.
- Always watch over a barbecue grill when in use.
- Never grill in any enclosed area like in your house, camper or tent.
- Make sure everyone, including the pets, don’t get too close to the grill.
- Keep the grill out in the open and away from anything that could catch fire.
- Use the long-handled tools made for cooking to avoid burns.
- Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
Hope everyone has a safe and fun Fourth of July! If fire or smoke damage does occur, please call SERVPRO of Alhambra at (626)283-5875 and we will assess the damage and take care of everything for you.
SERVPRO of Alhambra's Commercial Services
Commercial properties usually experiences wear and tear from dirt and grime that accumulates from ordinary use over time. You can always count on SERVPRO of Alhambra to make sure that your commercial property look its best. Profession cleaning will help you protect your property and increase its life-span so you do not have to worry about common wear and tear that gradually soils your office. When grime, odor, and moisture challenges go beyond the scope of your regular janitorial staff, you should call SERVPRO of Alhambra for prompt service. Whether it’s removing an odor problem or deep cleaning flooring or carpets, you can rely on us to make your workspace look its very best.
When it comes to your commercial property, you need a company that can minimize the disruption to your clients while delivering superior results and SERVPRO of Alhambra is the company to do it. Whether you need professional cleaning to make your business shine, or emergency water restoration services, SERVPRO of Alhambra has the training and expertise to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Here are some properties that we offer cleaning services to. We have the specialized training and products to get your property back to business.
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
- Apartment Buildings
Some services that we provide are:
- Air Ducts and HVAC
- Biohazard and Sewage
- Trauma and Crime Scene
- Carpet and Upholstery
- Drapes and Blinds
- Ceilings, Walls, and Hard Floors
- Odor Removal and Deodorization
If you have any questions, please call us at (626)283-5875.
Common Causes of Fire Damage in Homes
House fires can be one of the most terrifying experiences and a house can easily catch fire for many different reasons but they can be easily avoided if the right measures are taken. Here are some tips that can help you prevent common house fires.
- The first common cause of house fires is from cooking. About 50% of all accidental house fires are started from cooking related instances. Pots and pans can be easily overheated if not properly attended. Always make sure there is someone in the kitchen when the stove is on.
- Portable heaters are also easily prone to causing accidental house fires. A way to prevent this is to keep portable heaters at least three feet away from items that could catch fire such as furniture, curtains, clothes, or even yourself. You should also inspect it at least once a year to make sure that it is safe to use.
- Fires could also be caused be by electrical malfunction which occurs when there are inadequate wiring. A sign to see if they are bad wiring are dimming lights when you use another appliance. Another sign is for an appliance to work, you would have to disconnect a different appliance or fuses blow.
- Another common cause if house fire are open flames such as candles. But if they are left unattended they can accidentally catch fire to close by curtains. Always blow out a candle before leaving a room
If an accident ever occurs, please don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Alhambra at (626)283-5875 to help you with fire damage needs.