Stay Safe After a Water Damage
This won't be your average, typical blog about what to do to help before SERVPRO arrives. Sometimes these things may seem unnecessary to say but in order to keep our clients safe here are a few things you should NOT do before SERVPRO of Alhambra shows up.
- If you can see that the ceiling is wet, do not turn on celling fans. If the ceiling looks to be sagging please keep out of the room.
- Do not use the TV of other household appliances especially in wet areas of the home.
- DO NOT use your own vacuum to remove water
- Keep all colored objects, books and rugs off of wet carpet and flooring
- Don't leave any wet fabrics or clothing in wet affected areas. Hang them up to dry and keep out of area.
In the event that your home suffers from a water damage call SERVPRO of Alhambra at (626)283-5875
Preventing Refrigerator and Ice Maker Water Damage
Keep Your Fridge Clean
Being one of the top restoration companies we have encountered countless refrigerator leaks that have caused massive damages not only to the kitchen, but to the rest of the home as well. This is why we should learn all about the ways to help prevent leaks and damages.
Tips to keep your home safe from water damages:
- From time to time try to remove dust and debris that build up behind the fridge.
- Try to use copper or stainless steel lines for any replacement necessary.
- Make sure to shut off your main water supply before leaving for any long trips.
- Remove hard water build up in the line.
Most times we just fill our fridge and maintain the inside of it from time to time. Let's do our best not to forget about the back and outside of our refrigerator to keep our homes in tiptop shape!
As always, in the case something happens out of your control don't hesitate to call us for help!
SERVPRO of Alhambra (626) 283-5875
Tornado's strike six different states in America in December. This was such a horrible experience for people in Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi and Tennessee. With this happening so recently we would like to provide you some ways to stay as safe as possible in the event another one occurs.
- MAKE A SAFETY PLAN
- Find a safe place to hide out during the storm: Stay away from being inside of your car, go to the lowest part of your home such as a basement or closet with no windows.
- Stay clear of windows - you want to fully avoids all windows at all costs, they will be the frist thing to break and bring in the tornado.
- Put on shoes and a helmet if possible - always have your shoes on already and if you have a helmet, put it on.
- Plan for your pets - you can put your pets in their carrier or on a leash and keep them with you at all times.
- Do not leave your home - if you are already home during a tornado do not try to leave and out run the tornado.
For more tornado safety visit: https://weather.com/safety/tornado/news/tornado-safety-tips
Protect Your Commercial Building
Protecting your business from potential damages should always be your number one priority. Stay one step ahead by making sure your business has all the correct tools and gear needed!
In the unfortunate event of a fire in your commercial building make sure to have on hand:
- Fire Extinguisher- Having this near by will limit the area of potential damages
- An Emergency Exit Plan- This will keep you and your employees safe in case the fire is too large to put out on your own. Make sure this is written out and given to all employees. Doing an emergency exit drill every few months would be beneficial as well.
- Documents Backed Up- Making sure all your important paper work and documents are backed up to the cloud or having extra copies in a separate location to ensure you don't lose important paperwork.
These are just a few tips to keep in mind in case of a fire. If you experience damages due to fire in your commercial building SERVPRO of Alhambra is always available 24 hours a day at (626) 283-5875
We Advocate For You
Have a water or fire damage in your home? Wondering how to handle the situation? Who do you call where to start? No need to stress!
Some of these damages may be covered by your insurance company. Once you have chosen SERVPRO of Alhambra as your designated company, we do everything in our power to work with your insurance to get everything covered.
We first preform an initial inspection of your property to determine how many rooms are effected and what materials were damaged.
After our inspection we gather all the information including photos, measurements, and findings then send it to your insurance company.
We continue to follow up on your claim while working with your claims adjuster to get all the scope of work to be approved.
Once all approvals are obtained we move forward with mitigation services to get you back into your home as soon as possible!
24 Hour Service Even on Christmas
It's almost the best time of the year again, Christmas! We all love this time of the year whether you like putting up your Christmas tree, putting lights all around your home, or even baking cookies and having hot chocolate by the fireplace. Even with is being the jolliest holiday of the year accidents can still happen. It is important to keep safety at the top of your mind when getting your home ready for this holiday.
“According to the National Fire Protection Association, electrical distribution or lighting equipment was involved in 44% of home Christmas tree fires. Though Christmas tree fires may not be common, they can be devastating to more than the house itself. They can destroy irreplaceable photos, mementos, and family heirlooms and even cost lives,” says Isaacson. “To help keep your holidays bright and your home and family safe, use common sense with candles and tree placement, and follow these important home decorating guidelines.”
For more info please visit www.SERVPRO.com
Smoke & Soot
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Alhambra will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us Today – (626) 283-5875
Storm Disasters and Your Belongings
When mother nature takes a turn for he worst it can damage more than just the structure of your home. Here at SERVPRO we know and understand that it is not the house that makes a home, it is the people and belongings you keep inside of it that give that warm happy feeling. Our Storm professionals are highly trained in caring for your items as if they were they're own.
These are a few ways in which we clean your items:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
For more information on how we take care of your items after storm and water damage check out our cooperate website. https://www.SERVPRO.com/resources/storm-damage/storm-cleanup
Mold in Commercial Buildings
Commercial buildings are often overlooked when it comes to mold. Hidden pipes in the ceilings that may be damaged can slowly leak and goes undetected causing mold growth.
Mold is a type of fungus. It can be found both indoors and outdoors. Research has shown that mold grows best in humid, warm and moist environments.
Common types of mold found in commercial buildings:
- Aspergillus - grows on dust, food made from powder, and most commonly found on drywall.
- Cladosporium - can grow in both cool and warm environments and is typically found on fabric and on the surface of wood.
- Penicillium - often has a blue or green color and is typically formed on objects that have been affected by water.
- Alternaria - is found in most common damp areas, such as showers or under sinks.
SERVPRO of Alhambra is open 24-hours, don’t hesitate to call us at anytime. We can have a team of professional technicians, to start on your mold remediation right away. We’ll make it, “Like it never even happened.”
Check Your Home For Water Damages
It doesn’t matter if you’re buying a home, selling a home, or a happy owner of your home for 10 years, it is still important to identify signs of water damage. Water can not only damage walls, floors, and lead to toxic mold to grow, but it can also cause permanent structural damage to a home. Water damage can be caused by leaks, floods, overflowing water sources, ice dams, accumulation of water in the basement, or leaky appliances. Although water damage can exist anywhere inside a home, there are some important high risk areas to check first. Follow these steps to inspect a house for water damage.
Step 1 - Check the Walls
The simplest way to spot water damage is looking for water stains on the walls and ceilings. You can also check around the window and door frames for stains. Any unusual stains should be taken seriously, as they are most likely a sign of a leaky pipe or drain inside the wall. You can look for cracks in the drywall. An area of wall that has been exposed to water can also have a swollen appearance and be soft to the touch.
Step 2 - Check the Floors
Water damage can happen to any type of flooring and can also seep down to the sub floor. Look for any warping or buckling of the floors, especially in the basement. If the floor looks warped, water damage is most likely the cause. Also be wary of white or dark stains on wood floors, damp carpeting, or a general smell of dampness and mold.
Step 3 - Check the Pipes
Inspect the piping in the kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room, and basement for corrosion around the pipe connections, leaks, or water stains. Inspect the caulking around the bathroom fixtures. Missing or loose caulking could be caused by water seepage. Look for missing grout or signs of mold. Check the water heater for wet spots on the floor and rust on the tank.
Step 4 - Check the Basement
Basement leakage is a common problem found in houses. Water in the basement often causes damage to the flooring, baseboards, walls, and furniture. Additionally, odors caused by mold and mildew can be unpleasant and even cause health effects. Inspect for cracks, stains, rust, dampness, mold, and odors.
Step 5 - Check the Attic
Check the attic for stains, mold, and other signs of leaks. Pay special attention to the valleys where 2 roof planes come together, the flashing where the roof meets the walls, and the flashing around roof vents and chimneys. The insulation should be dry and in good condition. Houses located in cold climates can develop ice dams on the roof, which cause water to leak into the attic from melting snow and ice on the roof.
Step 6 - Check the Exterior
Make sure to check the exterior of the house as well. Check the roof for missing or damaged flashings, cracked, or curled shingles. If you see standing water anywhere outside the home, it could be the sign of a problem. A puddle could be due to poor drainage in the yard, leaky rain gutters, or gutter spouts that don’t take water far enough from the house. The house should be situated on the highest point of the property, with the ground sloping away from the house.
After finishing checking all these steps, if you find something wrong or suspicious, don’t hesitate to contact SERVPRO of Alhambra