Commercial Building Water Damage
Commercial Water Damage
Water damage can affect and halt your business for days. However, many business owners and entrepreneurs sometimes forget that floods and severe weather aren’t the only culprits of water damage to a business. Here are some typical causes of water damage that happen to business commercial buildings.
- Malfunctioning sprinklers
Many older office and retail buildings might have outdated sprinkler systems where they work in conjunction with fire protection systems. They are good whenever they is a fire emergency, however, they can also cause commercial flood damage if they are faulty and in need of a replacement. These sprinkler systems should be checked annually so that they do not damage business assets or inventory.
- Damaged appliances and equipment
A lot of causes of flood damage are from faulty appliances and equipment such as coffee machines or any machines that involve water. Restaurants and catering facilities are more commonly prone to these problems but any break room facility in businesses can also run into these problems and damage the surrounding area.
- Pipe and plumbing failure
Pipes and plumbing issues are always a big problem, whether it is at a commercial or at a residential building. If the pipes or plumbing fails, water damage could be a result or occur so immediately shut off the water and contact SERVPRO for a thorough inspection and assessment.
If your business runs into any water damage, please call SERVPRO of Alhambra for a free inspection at (626)283-5875.
Independence Day Safety Tips
Independence Day is one of America’s biggest holidays where usually, everyone takes the day or night off. The most popular events are barbecues, fireworks, or a trip to the park or beach. It is one of people’s favorite holidays but it can also be hazardous and it is also important to stay safe while having fun.
Here are some tips for the most common activities on July Fourth to remember:
- Always follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Never give fireworks to small children.
- Keep a bucket of water or a hose nearby.
- Never attempt to relight a firework if it does not go off
- Never carry fireworks in your pockets.
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
- Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, or structures.
- Use fireworks outdoors only.
- Keep a safe distance.
- Always watch over a barbecue grill when in use.
- Never grill in any enclosed area like in your house, camper or tent.
- Make sure everyone, including the pets, don’t get too close to the grill.
- Keep the grill out in the open and away from anything that could catch fire.
- Use the long-handled tools made for cooking to avoid burns.
- Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
Hope everyone has a safe and fun Fourth of July! If fire or smoke damage does occur, please call SERVPRO of Alhambra at (626)283-5875 and we will assess the damage and take care of everything for you.
SERVPRO of Alhambra's Commercial Services
Commercial properties usually experiences wear and tear from dirt and grime that accumulates from ordinary use over time. You can always count on SERVPRO of Alhambra to make sure that your commercial property look its best. Profession cleaning will help you protect your property and increase its life-span so you do not have to worry about common wear and tear that gradually soils your office. When grime, odor, and moisture challenges go beyond the scope of your regular janitorial staff, you should call SERVPRO of Alhambra for prompt service. Whether it’s removing an odor problem or deep cleaning flooring or carpets, you can rely on us to make your workspace look its very best.
When it comes to your commercial property, you need a company that can minimize the disruption to your clients while delivering superior results and SERVPRO of Alhambra is the company to do it. Whether you need professional cleaning to make your business shine, or emergency water restoration services, SERVPRO of Alhambra has the training and expertise to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Here are some properties that we offer cleaning services to. We have the specialized training and products to get your property back to business.
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
- Apartment Buildings
Some services that we provide are:
- Air Ducts and HVAC
- Biohazard and Sewage
- Trauma and Crime Scene
- Carpet and Upholstery
- Drapes and Blinds
- Ceilings, Walls, and Hard Floors
- Odor Removal and Deodorization
If you have any questions, please call us at (626)283-5875.
Common Causes of Fire Damage in Homes
House fires can be one of the most terrifying experiences and a house can easily catch fire for many different reasons but they can be easily avoided if the right measures are taken. Here are some tips that can help you prevent common house fires.
- The first common cause of house fires is from cooking. About 50% of all accidental house fires are started from cooking related instances. Pots and pans can be easily overheated if not properly attended. Always make sure there is someone in the kitchen when the stove is on.
- Portable heaters are also easily prone to causing accidental house fires. A way to prevent this is to keep portable heaters at least three feet away from items that could catch fire such as furniture, curtains, clothes, or even yourself. You should also inspect it at least once a year to make sure that it is safe to use.
- Fires could also be caused be by electrical malfunction which occurs when there are inadequate wiring. A sign to see if they are bad wiring are dimming lights when you use another appliance. Another sign is for an appliance to work, you would have to disconnect a different appliance or fuses blow.
- Another common cause if house fire are open flames such as candles. But if they are left unattended they can accidentally catch fire to close by curtains. Always blow out a candle before leaving a room
If an accident ever occurs, please don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Alhambra at (626)283-5875 to help you with fire damage needs.
How to Prevent Flooding
Dealing with storms and preventing flooding in your home can be stressful, however, SERVPRO of Alhambra is here to provide you with some tips to help make that spring rain a little more bearable, especially in Southern California.
Intense storms can block and back up the city’s drainage system. It can become overwhelmed and then flooding will occur. Do not attempt to drive through standing water as the water can stall your car. In that case, you must abandon your car and move to higher ground. If you are in an office or home that is in danger of flooding, you should unplug all electrical appliances as well as turning off the gas line. Always remember to be alert of any electrical wires or fallen power lines.
To prevent the likelihood of floods, try to keep storm drains clear of trash and debris. Leave or plant plants on areas that slop to slow runoff and prevent erosion. It is also important to clean your home’s gutters and downspouts so prevent buildup. Sandbags are also a good idea to keep in handy to prevent outside water from going into your home. Having a updated emergency kit and list of emergency numbers just in case any accidents happen.
If a flood occurs in your neighborhood or home, call SERVPRO of Alhambra at (626)283-5875 to help you out!
SERVPRO of Alhambra's Emergency Response Profile
Your business has just been hit by an unexpected disaster, do you know how you would respond. It is always important to be prepared for any disaster in your business no matter how big or small it was. Whether it is a small leak to a heavy flood, or an earthquake, it is always important to be prepared for it is estimated that about 50% of businesses that have been affected by water or fire disasters do not reopen so we highly recommend that you call SERVPRO of Alhambra to schedule an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) so that we can help make sure your business or home is properly prepared for any disaster.
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) is a free assessment of your property which is a quick reference of building and contact information. The ERP is a profile document that contains crucial information about the property building in the event of an emergency. It also includes facility details such as shut off valve locations and priority contact information. It also helps our employees determine what to do and how to authorize repair work. The ERP also serves as an emergency preparedness procedure.
When you set up an ERP with SERVPRO of Alhambra, we will be your professional disaster mitigation and restoration provider. By working with SERVPRO of Alhambra, you will be minimizing your business interruption by having an immediate plan of action for your building.
Being prepared is essential to making it through any size disaster. Don't wait until disaster strikes, call SERVPRO of Alhambra at 626-283-5875 today to get your personalized Emergency Ready Profile for your business. We’ll make sure you are “Ready for Whatever Happens.”
Types of Water Damage Categories
Water damage can be a scary event that happens to your home or business and can promote deterioration of structures and mold growth. There are also three categories of water that you should know about before figuring out if you can handle it yourself. SERVPRO of Alhambra can also provide a free estimate and whether or not you should put a claim in with your insurance.
The first type of water damage is called “clean water.” Clean Water will come from a clean and sanitary source such as faucets, sinks, bathtubs, toilets or any broken water supply lines. However if you ignore the water, it will not stay clean since it comes into contact with other surfaces or materials. This type
The second type of water damage is called “Grey Water.” It is a source of water that contains a significant degree of either chemical, biological or physical contaminants. It may cause discomfort and illness when you consume it or if you’re just exposed to it. It can carry unsafe levels of microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi and algae. This includes water from dishwashers, washing machines, sump pumps, toilet bowls (that doesn’t contain any feces), and flush sink drains.
Black water is the third category of water which comes from a source of water that is unsanitary. It contains unsanitary agents that can cause severe discomfort and sickness. It is any outside water that has now affected the indoor environment. For example, black water can range sea water, rivers and streams to sewage and groundwater. Any toilet back flow regardless of color and overflow with feces is categorized as black water.
Time and temperature can affect the quality of water, thereby changing its category. Any stagnant water can harbor bacteria. So if you ever experience water damage, don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Alhambra to help with your water extraction and/or dehumidification.
Living in California, you have to always be prepared for an earthquake since this state has been prone to some serious earthquakes in the past. Although, bigger earthquakes, such as the 6.7 one that hit Northridge area of Los Angeles are often pretty rare, even minor earthquakes can damage your homes and property and even cause injuries as well.
The key to preventing and lowering the risk of injury and surviving an earthquake is to plan, prepare, and practice what you will do when an earthquake happens.
During an earthquake drill, practice:
- Get under a study table or desk and hold on to it
- Make sure you know where the disaster and emergency supplies are
- Practice the DROP, COVER, AND HOLD-ON in each safe place
- Drop under a sturdy table or desk and hold on to one of the legs of the table to desk and protect your eyes by keeping your head down
- Doorways are no stronger than any other part of a structure so do not rely on them for protection!
- Stay clear of windows or glass that could shatter or objects that could fall on you
- Always use the stairs if you are above the first floor of a building in the case of power outages or aftershocks
- Stay indoors until the shaking has stopped before you are sure it is safe to exit the building
- When outside of the building, move away from any structures since falling debris could fall and injure someone that is around surrounding buildings still
- Leave a structure when it is safe if you smell gas
Frequent practice will help reinforce safe behavior in an event of an actual earthquake.
Always keep a look out for a possibility of an aftershock. Aftershocks are smaller earthquakes that follow the main large earthquake. Aftershock earthquakes can continue over a span of hours, days, and even months afterwards. Usually, the larger the earthquake, the more frequent and numerous the aftershocks are. They can cause as much damage as the main earthquake and some rare cases, a larger earthquake can occur.
More tips and how what to do before, during, and after an earthquake, visit this website here:
Easter Safety Tips!
It’s that time of year again where you and your family can enjoy decorating eggs together and then hiding them for your kids to find! However, sometimes, it can be a little dangerous and we want to give you some safety tips for a fun filled Easter.
- Buy eggs from a REFRIGERATED case and check the “sell by” date.
- Eggs can be hazardous food, in the same category as meat, fish, and milk. This is because they are capable of supporting the rapid growth of bacteria. Before boiling eggs for Easter decorating/painting, they should be kept refrigerated.
- NEVER leave raw eggs in any form at room temperature for more than 2 hours. Don't eat or cook with cracked eggs or eggs that have been un-refrigerated for more than two hours.
- Hard-boiled (decorated) eggs left in room temperature for a couple hours or days as a decoration or table centerpiece should be discarded and not eaten. (Although they won’t be a pleasant smell after a few hours)
- Use only clean and unbroken eggs. Discard dirty or broken eggs.
- Cleanliness of hands, utensils and work surfaces is essential in preventing spread of bacteria. Always wash your hands when handling your eggs, especially between cooking, cooling and dyeing. Wash hands again, along with all utensils, equipment and counter tops that have been in contact with any raw food before preparing other foods.
- Hiding eggs around soil can pick up bacteria and putting eggs in contact with soil should be avoided.
Hope everyone has a good and fun Easter weekend! For any emergency water or fire damage, please call SERVPRO of Alhambra at (626)283-5875.
SERVPRO of Alhambra Food Drive
From January to the end of February of this year, we, SERVPRO of Alhambra, decided to give back to the community to start off the New Year as well as being in Alhambra for almost five years! To give back to our community, we decided to partner with The Los Angeles Food Bank and organize a food drive.
We asked local insurance and realty companies in Alhambra and Monterey Park to participate with us and donate whatever they had for people in need! We had a wonderful turnout and our combined efforts resulted in over 400 pounds of canned and dried foods donated to the Los Angeles Food Bank!
We want to thank you to everyone that participated in our SERVPRO of Alhambra food drive and help us reach our goal of over 400 pounds of donated food! We will definitely do this again soon later in the year to give back again! Until then, if you experience any flooding, water leak, mold damage, or fire damage, please call us at (626)283-5875 and we will get you a free estimate!