SERVPRO Commercial Services
Every commercial property experiences wear and tear, including dirt and grime that accumulates from ordinary use. You can count on SERVPRO of Alhambra to make your workspace look its very best. Professional cleaning helps to protect your carpet and upholstery and increase its life-span. You don’t have time to worry about the common wear and tear that gradually soils your office. When grime, odor, and moisture challenges go beyond the scope of your regular janitorial staff, you should call SERVPRO of Alhambra for prompt service. Whether it’s removing an odor problem or deep cleaning flooring or carpets, you can rely on us to make your workspace look its very best.
When it comes to your commercial property, we mean business. You need a company that can minimize the disruption to your clients while delivering superior results. Whether you need professional cleaning to make your business shine, or emergency water restoration services, SERVPRO of Alhambra has the training and expertise to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of Alhambra offer cleaning services ranging from cleaning restaurant hoods to removing biohazard contaminants. We have the specialized training and products to get your property back to business. Our cleaning services include the following:
- Apartment Building
- Small Office Building
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- High-Rise Residential
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- Manufacturing & Industrial
- Air Ducts and HVAC
- Biohazard and Sewage
- Trauma and Crime Scene
- Carpet and Upholstery
- Drapes and Blinds
- Ceilings, Walls, and Hard Floors
- Odor Removal and Deodorization
Have Any Questions? Call Today – (626) 283-5875.
How to Check a House for Water Damage
It doesn’t matter if you’re buying a home, selling a home, or a happy owner of your home for 10 years, it is still important to identify signs of water damage. Water can not only damage walls, floors, and lead to toxic mold to grow, but it can also cause permanent structural damage to a home. Water damage can be caused by leaks, floods, overflowing water sources, ice dams, accumulation of water in the basement, or leaky appliances. Although water damage can exist anywhere inside a home, there are some important high risk areas to check first. Follow these steps to inspect a house for water damage.
Step 1 - Check the Walls
The simplest way to spot water damage is looking for water stains on the walls and ceilings. You can also check around the window and door frames for stains. Any unusual stains should be taken seriously, as they are most likely a sign of a leaky pipe or drain inside the wall. You can look for cracks in the drywall. An area of wall that has been exposed to water can also have a swollen appearance and be soft to the touch.
Step 2 - Check the Floors
Water damage can happen to any type of flooring and can also seep down to the sub floor. Look for any warping or buckling of the floors, especially in the basement. If the floor looks warped, water damage is most likely the cause. Also be wary of white or dark stains on wood floors, damp carpeting, or a general smell of dampness and mold.
Step 3 - Check the Pipes
Inspect the piping in the kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room, and basement for corrosion around the pipe connections, leaks, or water stains. Inspect the caulking around the bathroom fixtures. Missing or loose caulking could be caused by water seepage. Look for missing grout or signs of mold. Check the water heater for wet spots on the floor and rust on the tank.
Step 4 - Check the Basement
Basement leakage is a common problem found in houses. Water in the basement often causes damage to the flooring, baseboards, walls, and furniture. Additionally, odors caused by mold and mildew can be unpleasant and even cause health problems. Inspect for cracks, stains, rust, dampness, mold, and odors.
Step 5 - Check the Attic
Check the attic for stains, mold, and other signs of leaks. Pay special attention to the valleys where 2 roof planes come together, the flashing where the roof meets the walls, and the flashing around roof vents and chimneys. The insulation should be dry and in good condition. Houses located in cold climates can develop ice dams on the roof, which cause water to leak into the attic from melting snow and ice on the roof.
Step 6 - Check the Exterior
Make sure to check the exterior of the house as well. Check the roof for missing or damaged flashings, cracked, or curled shingles. If you see standing water anywhere outside the home, it could be the sign of a problem. A puddle could be due to poor drainage in the yard, leaky rain gutters, or gutter spouts that don’t take water far enough from the house. The house should be situated on the highest point of the property, with the ground sloping away from the house.
After finishing checking all these steps, if you find something wrong or suspicious, don’t hesitate to contact SERVPRO of Alhambra at 626-283-5875. We will inspect your home free of charge and provide a free estimate if any work needs to be done. Keep your home clear of any water damage and call today!
Fourth of July Safety Tips
Fourth of July is arguably the best part of summer. An entire day off work filled with barbecues, fireworks, and a trip to the local park or beach? What more could we possibly ask for. Having fun is great but it’s also important to remember to stay safe.
Have a great day celebrating our beautiful country but remember these useful Firework and Grilling safety tips:
- Always follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Never give fireworks to small children.
- Keep a bucket of water or a hose nearby.
- Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight "a dud."
- Never carry fireworks in your pockets.
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
- Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, or structures.
- Use fireworks outdoors only.
- Keep a safe distance.
- Always watch over a barbecue grill when in use.
- Never grill in any enclosed area like in your house, camper or tent.
- Make sure everyone, including the pets, don’t get too close to the grill.
- Keep the grill out in the open and away from anything that could catch fire.
- Use the long-handled tools made for cooking to avoid burns.
- Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public fireworks show put on by professionals. This way you can relax and not worry about getting hurt or lighting things on fire. Fireworks should always be treated with a lot of care and caution. Every year people in this country are accidentally injured while using fireworks and grills. Follow precautions to make sure you and your family stay out of the ER this summer. SERVPRO of Alhambra wishes you a Happy Fourth of July filled with delicious foods and loved ones!
For more information and tips, visit The Red Cross at http://www.redcross.org.
How to Deal with Storms & Prevent Flooding
Global warming has changed the climate as we know it and brought much needed rain to our dry state. What seemed like a blessing for a state that has been in a drought for so long may be a curse to those who are not prepared. Living in sunny southern California, many of us are not ready to deal with all the rain we have been getting. SERVPRO of Alhambra is here to provide you with some tips to make all this rain a little more bearable.
In big cities like Los Angeles, intense storms tend to block up the city’s drainage system. It becomes overwhelmed and flooding will occur. As in most emergencies, the first thing to do is to call 911 in case of any life threatening emergencies. Do not attempt to drive through standing water. Water will stall your car so if your car stops, abandon it and move to dry or higher ground. If you are in an office or home that's in danger of flooding, it is important to unplug all electrical appliances and turn off the gas line. Remember to stay aware from any electrical wires and fallen power lines.
In order to prevent the likelihood of floods, do your best to help keep the storm drains clear of trash and debris. Leave or plant vegetation on areas that slope to slow runoff and prevent erosion. It’s also important to remember to keep your home’s gutters and downspouts clean. Sandbags are great to have handy to prevent outside water from coming into your house. Last but not least, keep an emergency kit and list of emergency numbers just in case anything does happen.
If you follow these simple tips, you’ll definitely reduce the chance of a flood in your neighborhood or home. But hey accidents happen right? If they do, call us here at SERVPRO of Alhambra and we’ll be there to help.
The Most Common Causes of House Fires
In Southern California, we are known to have summer temperatures all year round which makes it common for fires to break out. A house can easily catch fire for a number of different reasons but they can be easily avoided if you take the right measures. Below are some of the most common causes of house fires, and some tips to prevent them.
- Cooking – Almost 50% of all accidental house fires are cooking related. Pots and pans can easily overheat and cause a fire if the person cooking leaves cooking unattended. Always make sure there is someone in the room while the stove is on.
- Heating - Keep portable heaters at least three feet away from anything that could easily catch fire such as furniture, curtains, clothes and even yourself. If you have a furnace, get it inspected once a year to make sure it is working to safety standards.
- Electrical Malfunction – Fires that are the result of electrical hazards occur in homes with inadequate wiring. Some signs to see if you’ve bad wiring are: 1) Lights dim if you use another appliance; 2) For an appliance to work, you have to disconnect another; 3) Fuses blow or trip the circuit frequently. If you have any doubts or concerns about your electric wiring, call your landlord immediately or have a licensed electrician come and inspect you house.
- Open Flame - Candles look and smell nice, but if they are left unattended they can cause a room to burst into flames. Keep candles away from any obviously flammable items such as books and tissue boxes. Always blow a candle out before leaving a room.
- Faulty Appliances - An electrical appliance, such as a toaster can start a fire if it is faulty or has a frayed cord. A power source that is overloaded with one or more adapter plug can cause a fire from an overuse of electricity. An extension cord can also be a fire hazard if not used appropriately. Remember to unplug all appliances that are not in use.
Most of house fires are unintentional but taking precautions can help you avoid a fire in your home and ensure the safety of your family. However if any accidents do occur, don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Alhambra at 626-283-5875 to help you with all of your fire damage needs.
For more fire statistics in the United States, visit https://www.usfa.fema.gov/data/statistics/#what
Riverside Plane Crash
In February 2017, a tragic accident occurred in Riverside County just east of Los Angeles. Five San Jose natives were on board a twin-engine Cessna 310, when the plane suddenly clipped one home, crashed into another, and the fire engulfed a third home. Two nearby homes were also damaged by the effects of the fire. No one in any of the residences were injured.
Three of the people on board the plane including the pilot died as a result of the horrible accident. Two people were severely injured and taken to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton. One of the victims suffered third-degree burns over 90 percent of her body and has succumb to complications of these extensive burns. Doctors had to amputate her legs, she had remained on a ventilator and feeding tube to breathe and eat. Ensuing almost a month of surgeries and complications, the family has made the decision to take her off life support. The other victim, who is now the sole survivor of the crash, has been transferred to a different hospital and is slowly recovering.
The members on the plane had come from San Jose to Southern California to watch their daughters compete in a cheerleading competition. The young girl's got home safely on a school-chartered bus.
The cause of the crash is still under investigation by Riverside County Police. They are looking at environmental factors, pilot’s experience, flight records and the overall condition of the plane. The destroyed homes have been red tagged and the other homes have exterior, smoke and fire damage. SERVPRO of Alhambra was asked to help inspect one of the properties at the loss site to identifying the safety issues and pretesting for restorability.
Our deepest condolences and prayers go out to the families of the victims. A GoFundMe page has been established by a family friend to help raise money for the medical bills, travel expenses and funerals.
Spring Cleaning Tips
Spring is in air and unfortunately so are unwanted pollen, dust and other allergens! Allergy symptoms are the worst but luckily there are many ways you can reduce your symptoms to all your allergies. The largest collectors of allergy producers in your home or office are usually the ducts, carpet, and upholstery. If you make sure they are frequently cleaned, you can decrease the chances of your allergies acting up.
- Duct Cleaning – It is important to keep indoor air clean. You can use a dehumidifier to keep the indoor air dry. Dust and other allergens can easily get stuck in between your air conditioning unit and your air vents. While you can make sure to change your filters on a regular basis, it is suggested to have your ducts cleaned once a year at a minimum. If you are not sure how to do this, you can have a SERVPRO of Alhambra professional come to check and clean your duct work.
- Carpet Cleaning– You can help keep your carpet clean by consistently using a vacuum cleaner that has a HEPA filter. Vacuuming is great in helping with dust and pollen but it is also recommended that you should have your carpets professionally cleaned at least every 6 months to a year. It is easy for your carpet and padding to collect allergens without regular vacuuming. If you have SERVPRO of Alhambra clean you carpet, you will notice a drastic difference in the cleanliness of your carpet.
- Upholstery Cleaning – If you think about how long you have had your couch and how much use it gets, you will realize how often it should be cleaned. You can try vacuuming your couch but it only removes so much. We suggest having your upholstered furniture professionally cleaned a few times a year to remove excess dirt and anything else hiding under the cushions.
If your allergies are starting to bother you, please feel free to contact us SERVPRO of Alhambra at (626) 283-5875. Remember, a clean home is a happy home!
Three Categories of Water Damage
Water damage can be a scary thing if you don't know what you’re dealing with. Before you stress and freak out, here are some facts to help you determine how bad the water damage actually is.
Category 1 - “Clean Water”
Clean water comes from a source that does not serve as a potential threat. It will come from a clean and sanitary source such as faucets, sinks, bathtubs, toilets or any broken water supply lines. However if you ignore the water, it will not stay clean since it comes into contact with other surfaces or materials.
Category 2 - “ Grey Water”
Grey Water is a source of water that contains a significant degree of either chemical, biological or physical contaminants. It can cause discomfort and illness when you consume it or sometimes if you’re just exposed to it. It carries unsafe levels of microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi and algae. This includes water from dishwashers, washing machines, sump pumps, toilet bowls (that doesn’t contain any feces), and flush sink drains.
Category 3 - “Black Water”
Black water comes from a source of water that is unsanitary. It contains unsanitary agents that can cause severe discomfort and sickness. It is any outside water that has now affected the indoor environment. Sources can range sea water, rivers and streams to sewage and groundwater. Any toilet back flow regardless of color and overflow with feces is categorized as black water.
Time and temperature can affect the quality of water, thereby changing its category. Any stagnant water can harbor bacteria. So if you ever experience water damage, don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Alhambra to help with your water extraction and/or dehumidification.
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile
If your business was hit by an unexpected disaster today, would you know how to respond? It is important to be prepared for a disaster no matter how big or small. Whether it is a minor leak, a large fire, heavy flooding, or an earthquake, preparation is key. It is estimated that 50% of businesses do not reopen after a water or fire disaster. Call SERVPRO of Alhambra to schedule an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) for your commercial/ residential structure and make sure your business is properly prepared.
The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile is a free assessment of your property which will serve as a quick reference of important building and contact information. The ERP is a concise profile document containing only the crucial information needed in the event of an emergency. It includes facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information. It helps employees determine the line of command for authorizing repair work to begin. The ERP can also serve as a helpful addition to any existing emergency preparedness procedures.
The ERP will establish SERVPRO of Alhambra as your professional disaster mitigation and restoration provider. By working with SERVPRO of Alhambra to develop your personalized Emergency READY Profile, you can help minimize your business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your building. SERVPRO is a trusted leader in water and fire damage response area and we can help you get your property back in working order as soon as possible.
Being prepared is essential to making it through any size disaster. Don't wait until disaster strikes, call SERVPRO of Alhambra at 626-283-5875 today to get your personalized Emergency Ready Profile for your business. We’ll make sure you are “Ready for Whatever Happens.”
Alhambra 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Alhambra is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help Call Today – (626) 283-5875
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Alhambra has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Alhambra
SERVPRO of Alhambra specializes in the clean-up and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and on-going training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.